Theatreview News - 12 Aug 2010
THE BASEMENT IN THE AUCKLAND FRINGE
Friday 25th February – Sunday 17th March 2011
The Basement is planning a curated programme as part of the Auckland Fringe 2011 – and you need to apply to be part of the programme. We are looking for a wide variety of work to be presented at The Basement during the Fringe including spoken word / poetry / film / theatre /dance/ burlesque / music / performance installations / visual arts / and genres not invented yet.
The Deadline for Basement proposals is Monday 6th September at 6pm. We will then come back to you by the end of September to let you know if you have been accepted and to offer you a time slot.
Please include the following in your proposal:
- A description of your event / background, has it been performed before etc
- A list of people who will be involved (confirmed / unconfirmed)
- The duration of the event (Fringe shows usually run around 60 mins or less)
- Running time – things will be tight, there will not be a lot of pack in or out time or extra showtime
- A marketing plan – how will you promote your show
Things to think about:
- The technical requirements of your show – you will most likely only have a matter of a few hours to pack in your show and tech in the venue – there will be NO rehearsal time in the venue so your show needs to be performance ready by the time you get into The Basement.
- We will be running several shows each night and you may only have 30 minutes or less to pack your set in and out for each performance.
- Storage – with many companies using the space at once we will be very limited for storage space for your set/ props etc.
- You will need to have a stage manager/usher – well, someone in charge who isn't performing in it.
- Your lighting plot will be basic.
If you have been selected for the programme you then you will need to register your Fringe event with the Auckland Fringe http://www.the-edge.co.nz/fringe.aspx - registrations open Friday 13th August and closes Friday 15th October – so there will be plenty of time to register. All Basement groups must register their event with the Auckland Fringe.
3. THE COST
Cost per Fringe performance in the main theatre: $200 + GST
What this covers:
- Venue Rental
- Front of House supervisor
- One technical operator for your performance
- Box Office Staff and Bar Staff
- Your show will have a listing / image on The Basement and THE EDGE® website
- A basic lighting rig (exact specs TBC)
- A basic sound system (exact specs TBC)
- Rostra and seating for 100
Things you need to pay for:
- Pack in / pack out and technical labour (you must have at least one Basement technician overseeing this)
- Additional marketing materials for your show
- Ticketing costs.
Artists performing at The Basement during the Fringe must use iTICKET for the sale of their tickets – we want to avoid confusion for our audiences – so regardless of so many shows in the venue they know that if they want tickets it is super-easy! We don't people uncertain of how and where to buy tickets to your show.
Please check out the iTICKET website www.iticket.co.nz or give them a call on 09 361 1000, they keep ticketing costs down. We will also provide a box office person and sell door sales for your show one hour prior to the event.
Key AUCKLAND FRINGE DATES:
August 13 2010 – Artists registrations open
September 6 2010 - The Basement Fringe programme proposals due
October 15 2010 – Artists registrations close
January 21 2011 – Fringe programme and website launched
February 25 – March 13 2011 – AUCKLAND FRINGE
February 26 2011 – Auckland Fringe opening event