November 3, 2008
CHAPMAN TRIPP THEATRE AWARDS 2008
Chapman Tripp are pleased to announce that the 17th annual Chapman Tripp Theatre Awards will be held on Sunday 7th December, 2008 at the Wellington Town Hall, 6.30pm.
Dubbed the "OSCARS" of Wellington theatre, the awards celebrate and recognize the unique creative talent that we have in our city.
With over 400 people estimated to attend the event, it is the social highlight of the theatre calendar and promises to be a fabulous celebration of the exceptional talent seen in Wellington during the year.
Nominees will be selected from over 80 professional New Zealand productions performed in Wellington, by a panel of theatre critics from the following publications: Salient, The Lumiere Reader, The Dominion Post, Capital Times & Theatreview.
The three nominees in each category will be announced in the week beginning the 17th November 2008.
The award category list is as follows:
- Montana Wines Award for Most Original Production of the Year
- Downstage Theatre Award for the Most Promising Male Newcomer of the Year
- Circa Award donated by TACT for the Most Promising Female Newcomer of the Year
- Toi Whakaari: NZ Drama School & Victoria University Award for Most Promising New Director of the Year
- The Dominion Post Award for Costume Designer of the Year
- Theatrelight Award for Lighting Designer of the Year
- Weta Workshop Award for Set Designer of the Year
- Western Audio Engineering Award for Sound Designer of the Year
- Constance Scott Kirkcaldie Award for Outstanding Composer of Music
- Peter Harcourt Award for Outstanding New Playwright of the Year Sponsored by BATS and Taki Rua
- The Absolutely Positively Outstanding New New Zealand Play of the Year
- The Museum Hotel Award for Director of the Year
- Chapman Tripp Award for Supporting Actor of the Year
- Orbit Corporate Travel Award for Supporting Actress of the Year.
In the performance categories are:
- EAT Wellington Accolade for Outstanding Performance
- Grouse Lighting Accolade for Outstanding Performance
- Chapman Tripp Award for Actress of the Year
- Gail Cowan Management Award for Actor of the Year
- Chapman Tripp Award for Production of the Year
The winner of the Mayor’s Award for Significant Contribution to the Theatre will be announced at the ceremony on the night.
For further information please contact:
Sally Richards. 027 278 9776