October 14, 2011
The New Zealand Dance Company is a vibrant new arts company recently funded by Creative New Zealand for a two year programme of activity. The Company’s vision is to create a sustainable, permanent, high-calibre dance company, with an Auckland home that contributes to the fabric of NZ culture and is dedicated to NZ’s finest contemporary dance practitioners.
The primary role of the Artistic Assistant/Rehearsal Director is to contribute to the realisation of the company’s strategic plan: to grow the artform, grow the audience and grow the infrastructure for contemporary dance in Aotearoa.
The successful candidate will report to and work closely with the Executive/Artistic Director Shona McCullagh, General Manager Frances Turner and Line Producers to deliver the New Zealand Dance Company’s 2012 projects including the premiere season of the New Zealand Dance Company in Auckland, subsequent upper North Island Tour and associated events which include fundraising events, professional workshops, and education initiatives.
Key areas of responsibility will include:
- managing the dancers within the rehearsal period and on tour
- assisting the Executive/Artistic Director in realising the company’s vision
- rehearsal direction in liaison with choreographers
- assisting in the delivery of the company’s youth engagement strategy
- excellent delivery of the administrative and practical tasks including scheduling classes, rehearsals and documenting company meetings,
- mentoring secondments and internships
- assisting with injury prevention and management
- attending management, company and production meetings.
- previous experience in rehearsal direction
- strong administrative and organisational skills
- the ability to work closely with both the management, production and artistic staff and other multi-disciplinary teams as required
- flexible availability during rehearsal and production periods
- excellent people and management skills
- a passion for developing a new arts company.
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute significantly to a new NZ arts company and you will enjoy our collaborative, energetic and professional environment, but you will need to be an experienced Rehearsal Director.
The contract position will be part-time from Dec 2011 – July 2012 with full-time rehearsal and performance periods in Feb – early April and May/June/July 2012.
To apply please supply a CV, photo and a covering letter detailing why you think you are a suitable candidate for this position, with two referees to Caroline Bindon at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Friday October 28th 2011.
Please note that your covering letter will form part of the short listing process.
For further information please contact Caroline Bindon at email@example.com