November 29, 2015
The Basement’s Producer Development Initiative
Sophie Henderson posted 29 Nov 2013, 04:46 PM
The Basement’s Producers Development Initiative 2014
What is The Producer’s Development Initiative?
– The Producer’s Development Initiative is a six month professional development internship for emerging producers in the performing arts.
– Interns will assist in the production of all shows on at the Basement. We see this type of full time, immersive engagement as the best way for successful applicants to develop their producing skillset in an environment that is simultaneously high turnover and low risk.
– We will provide a top industry mentor to support the intern throughout their time at The Basement. Mentors will assist the interns in developing relationships in the wider industry. They will work with the interns to develop best practice as well as serving a pastoral role by sharing their own experience of building a career pathway.
– The Basement will work with the mentors to structure the internship around specific producing skill sets, breaking it into three, two-month blocks and focusing in turn on: Publicity and Marketing, Budgets & Funding Proposals and Relationship Management & Creative Collaboration
– The interns will work on a wide range of projects; build key relationships within the emerging arts sector; and have the opportunity to dedicate themselves full time to the development of their production skills. They will meet the industry.
How can I apply?
There are two places on the programme for 2014:
20th January – 20th July and 20th June – 20th December
– Anyone who has produced at least one professional show will be eligible. Those with a proven track record (3-5 productions) will be given preference as they have already demonstrated commitment to producing as a career. Please note: These parameters will act as general guidelines and there may be exceptions based on the individual and/or on a reference from one of the Mentors
– Please send through your CV and an Expression of Interest to Sophie Henderson: firstname.lastname@example.org. This should include a personal statement – tell us about yourself and why you want to have a career as a producer.
– This is a full time, paid role and applicants must not have other work commitments during their internship.
What jobs will I be doing?
We will work with each artist group coming in to the Basement to decide the priorities for their project and delegate tasks to the intern. In this way we will be able to monitor both the intern’s workload as well as setting expectations with the artists that are realistic. These tasks will include but are not limited to:
– Assisting artists in writing grant proposals
– Helping artists build budgets that are realistic and appropriate
– Sitting in on marketing meetings with Basement users and learning to provide feedback
– Helping to develop a marketing strategy with artists
– Acquiring sponsorship for shows where possible/ appropriate
– Assisting in the writing of media releases
– Helping to write design briefs for artist publicity and marketing
When are Expressions of Interest due?
Expressions of Interest deadline: 5.00pm, Thursday 12 December
Interviews: 16 and 17 December
Successful applicant notified: Friday 20th December